Thursday, September 30, 2010

White Rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits!


Ever since I was a wee little lass, my Mum would make us say, "white rabbits, white rabbits, white rabbits" first thing when we woke up on the first day of each month. It was supposed to bring us good luck for the month. As I was sitting here tonight, looking at the little white bunny that lives in my front yard and comes out every night to graze, I thought to myself, tomorrow I'll be saying white rabbits.....even at my age, I still do it every single month without fail. Thanks to the internet, I looked it up - to see where it came from.....here's what I learned:

According to Wikipedia: It is a common British superstition. The exact origin of the superstition is unknown, though it has appeared in print at least as early as 1922: 'Why,' the man in the brown hat laughed at him, 'I thought everybody knew 'Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit.' If you say 'Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit'--three times, just like that--first thing in the morning on the first of the month, even before you say your prayers, you'll get a present before the end of the month.' However, some reports place its origins even earlier, into the 1800's. Today it has spread to most of the English-speaking countries of the world, although like all folklore, determining its exact area of distribution is difficult. This superstition is related to the broader belief in the rabbit or hare being a "lucky" animal, as exhibited in the practice of carrying a rabbit's foot for luck. Some have also believed it is representing a jumping into the future and moving ahead with life and happiness.

Aren't some traditions you've kept from childhood just the best? Now say it and see if you have a great October ~ J9R


No comments:

Post a Comment