Monday, November 29, 2010

Urbananites in Suburbia!

I wake up every day - assuming my link to the world will be there....I grab my Droid and check email, peruse the latest news, and maybe play a word or two against my opponent's on today's version of Scrabble.....someone else somewhere across America, trying to stump me with a tough word or block a triple word move....I turn on the TV with over 300 channels and have access at my fingertips to my computer. Life is good; however, yesterday our router died and we had no internet service....WHAT?&%^$#$^&@&@!!!  Ah gees! 

Both the hubby and I had computer related things to do.....what did we do before we were all so computerized?  So we turned into urbanites today - as if we were leaving our brownstone in SoHo and we headed to the nearest Starbucks.  We ordered our liquid delicacies....he a hot chocolate and me a Salted Hot Caramel Hot Chocolate (heaven in an environmentally friendly cup!) and set up shop next to two gals studying for the MCAT's, one already in medical school. 

We wrapped up and headed to a new place, Vickery Park, http://www.vickeryparkbar.com/ an unpretentious neighborhood restaurant & bar to meet friends for lunch. I had the most yummy lunch...a  brisket sandwich with Kahlua cream sauce and smoked cheese served on a butter honey bun. Man was it good!  The side salad was also amazing chocked full of toasted pecans, fresh grated cheese and dried cranberries, no ordinary side salad.  

We continued our "urban adventure" and jumped on the train as we head to downtown Dallas to see Jeff Dunham's Identify Crisis Show at the AA Center. It's my third time to see him....he was funny as usual. A few repeat jokes from years past, but for the most part the material was fresh. 

Both places were fantastic people watching/listening places....Starbucks: a first date, sharing their life stories over a cuppa; a Dad and little girl coming in so he can read the paper and she can nosh on a cookie, then reading the grocery list together before heading to market.  Dunham's show:  Lots of different walks of life...and I mean LOTS.....Funny how they all love a guy with dolls. 


At the end Dunham turned the lights on (his hometown is Dallas so we always get an extended show). His family, parents, cousins are always in the crowd. He brought his daughter out and she shot a huge T-shirt cannon gun with t-shirts for the fans.....one guy was so determined to get that shirt that he dove, knocking a lady out of her chair (who had gotten out of her wheelchair mind you to take her seat).  After he got up, he said, "Sorry Mom."  The dude knocked over his own wheelchair bound Mom for a T-shirt. 

Luckily, it turned out the problem was a dud power cord to the router, not the router itself, so we are back in business. I don't think my tush could've taken much more on a hard wooden seat in Starbucks, though it was entertaining to watch.     

No comments:

Post a Comment